Peace Plans Set to be Presented to Russia Within Days, Says Ukraine's President

President Volodymyr Zelenskyy of Ukraine stated that proposals for a peace deal developed with American diplomats could be finalised in a matter of days. Afterward, U.S. representatives are expected to submit the documentation to the Russian leadership.

Berlin Talks Yield Major Headway, But Key Hurdles Persist

After two days of discussions in Berlin, US officials reported on Monday that around “90%” of the disputed points between Moscow and Kyiv had been settled. Despite this optimistic assessment, an actual conclusion to the war remains uncertain, especially given the Russian lack of participation from the current dialogue.

In the early hours of Tuesday, Zelenskyy noted that the American legislature is expected to consider defense assurances and that a complete package of documents could be prepared “today or tomorrow.” He added that, the U.S. would hold consultations with Moscow, leading to summit-level talks as soon as this coming weekend.

Security Guarantees and International Support

“The plan involves five documents. Some of them concern security guarantees: formally ratified, that is, approved and endorsed by the US Congress,” Zelenskyy remarked to the press. He stated that these guarantees would “reflect article 5” of the Nato alliance.

On Monday, US officials did not provide specific details regarding the likely contents of the security package or what would happen if Russia sought to capture more land after a peace deal. Officials did confirm that the United States does not intend to place boots on the ground in Ukraine.

Leaders from the United Kingdom, France, and Germany and eight other European countries issued a joint statement that forces belonging to a “allied coalition” could “help with the rebuilding of Ukraine’s forces, in protecting Ukrainian airspace, and in ensuring safer seas, potentially by operating inside its territory.”

They stopped short, however, of proposing these actions would serve as guarantees matching Nato’s article 5. In any case, there is scant indication that Russia is near agreeing to the type of package being negotiated between Washington and Kyiv.

Kremlin Response and Territorial Dispute

On Tuesday, the Russian government said it had not seen the specifics of the plans for security guarantees. Additionally, a senior Russian diplomat, Sergey Ryabkov, declared that Russia would never accept forces of Nato countries being stationed in Ukraine “under any circumstances.”

The primary obstacle between the Ukrainian team and their American counterparts remains the issue of land. A key demand centers on Kyiv relinquishing the parts of the Donbas it currently controls, while Ukraine prefers to freeze the lines. “We are discussing the territorial issue. You know, it is a central problem. Currently, there is no consensus on it yet,” Zelenskyy remarked following the Berlin discussions.

American mediators, led by two senior advisors, has proposed a middle-ground proposal. This framework would see Ukraine pull back, but Russian troops would not move forward, with the demilitarised area becoming “an open economic area.” Russia has indicated it could use police and national guard units instead of the army in such an area, implying it would still expect to maintain authority there.

“Let me reiterate: a ‘special economic zone’ is not under the control of Russia. Not legally or in practice do we accept Donbas – its currently occupied areas – as Russian. Categorically,” said President Zelenskyy.

Next Steps and Possible Scenarios

The way ahead is uncertain how the two sides will resolve the territorial issue. Zelenskyy has previously suggested that a compromise solution such as a free economic zone might be theoretically possible if the citizens of Ukraine voted for it in a national vote. The major impediment is likely to be when the proposals are put to President Vladimir Putin of Russia, who has given no sign he is willing to compromise on his military objectives.

“If Putin rejects everything, we will face precisely the situation we are encountering on our plane right now – instability,” commented the president, making the statement as his aircraft took off from Berlin.

“I am confident the United States will increase sanction pressure and provide us with additional armaments if they reject the deal. I think, that would be a fair request from us to the United States,” he concluded.

Frederick Meyers
Frederick Meyers

A cultural commentator and lifestyle writer with a passion for exploring contemporary UK trends and societal shifts.